Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Fostering a Rescue Dog

Boston Terrier DogImage via Wikipedia

I have to first give a little background about myself. I am the one who always showed up at school with about 5 dogs in tow. I walked to school and as I walked the dogs in the neighborhood would come to get their pets and follow me to school! My brother refused to walk with me. He made me walk 20 paces behind so people did not know I was with him. He didn't want to be associated with the 'dog kid'!

I've had animals all my life. Usually, no more than one dog at a time. I've had several cats and dogs throughout the years. I always wanted to do something to work with animals. I never had the opportunity. I grew up, married and had children.

Now that I'm older and manage a business from my house, I have the time to devote to helping animals. My favorite breed came about due to a very special dog, named Bandit. He was a Boston Terrier I kept for awhile that belonged to one of my daughters friends. Bandit was very special to me. He had been kept in a cage and did not know how to live in a house. I taught him his 'house manners'. I also trained him to do tricks.

Unfortunately, our time together was cut short and Bandit was taken back and sold to someone else. I always held an empty spot in my heart for Bandit.

When I saw the 'Friends of Homeless Animals' of Providence, RI. asking for foster homes, I immediately applied. They specialize in the Boston Terrier breed in rescues. It was not even two days before someone was contacting me to do a home visit to become a foster. I know now why...

In these times, there are so many more animals being given up due to expense for upkeep, vet bills, etc. Family pets that have been with families for years are suddenly showing up in shelters at an alarming rate. These are the victims of these very hard times we are experiencing. A lot of them are being put to sleep. There just are not enough homes for all the animals. Now, more than ever is the time to make sure your pet is spay or neutered. Please do not let more pets come into this all ready over populated world of pets.

The foster parents and people who run Friends of Homeless Animals, are the most caring, informative people you would ever like to know. If the group hears of an animal being mistreated, or about to be put to sleep and they can help, they mobilize within a few hours to get someone to help the dog. I truly am blessed to be in this group of wonderful and caring people.

What can you do?

If you are looking for a puppy or dog, please adopt. Don't buy from a pet store. It is very likely the really cute little puppy may have come from a Puppy Mill. If you are not familiar with Puppy mills, please read this: United Against Puppy Mills

Also, know which breed dog is going to work for your lifestyle. Read about the breeds before adopting. Quite a few adopted dogs come back to shelters with adopters saying, 'I didn't know he would get so big', 'I didn't know he needed so much care", etc.

Try considering older dogs too. Some of the older dogs make fantastic pets. They are already trained and do not require a lot to ease into the routine of your household. Some senior dogs have so much love to give!

If you have room in your heart and home, consider fostering. It has some fantastic rewards! Seeing these dogs going to forever homes where they will be loved is just fantastic! Almost like seeing your own children going out in the world!

I have two fosters...Squirty, a Boston Terrier mix and Cocktail Shaker, a 3yr. old Boston Terrier, teenager who is full of hy-jinks! I will be posting pics and stories.

Stay tuned!


Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

No comments:

Post a Comment