Monday, April 19, 2010

Top 3 Rescue Dog Myths

Even though I've just started fostering, though my research I think I have heard it all now..and the more I hear, the more I don't want to be associated with the human race!  There are so many many myths circulating about rescue dogs that just are not true.  These myths actually keep great family dogs from securing a loving, secure forever home life.

Myth #1 - It is dangerous to adopt a rescue dog. Most are dangerous, that's why people dumped them.

In today's society, this myth should never be uttered again.  More and more today, most shelter dogs are owner surrenders due to 'cannot afford anymore', 'cannot pay vet bill', etc.  These dogs range in age from 1yr to 15yrs.

Now, imagine your family pet.  You've had him for 15yrs and really love this dog but suddenly find yourself without a job and children to feed.  This is a situation I would hope you have family that could help you out, or neighbors, your church, etc.  Some people do not have those options.  They are forced to give their beloved pet up in order to make sure their children can eat. These people have no choice.

Then, there are the other people who just grow tired of the dog...its old, doesn't play anymore, we want a puppy. The new fad is another breed, etc.  These people take their dogs to the shelter to be euthanized because they just don't care.

Are these dogs dangerous? Absolutely not.  They are the victims of our times, bad choices and judgement by people who have no right owning animals.

There are a few who are strays and have not been domesticated.  These animals have no future in rescue. The rescue actually meets the dogs, sizes them up, asks questions about the dogs to learn more and if they displayed agression in the shelter, they probably will not be rescued.

Myth #2 - Most rescue dogs have hidden illnesses and you take them home and later face huge vet bills.

Most rescue dogs before even going into foster care are taken to the vet and have a very rigorous exam. They have all shots, are neutered or spay, if injured, mange, etc. are cured and if need special diets the vet will prescribe for them.  The rescue dogs are probably the best and most well cared for dogs I know!  They are kept on their heartguard, flea and tick medicine, dental appt.'s, etc.   They also are given the best dog food to keep them healthy. We would not take all this care for the dog and then feed them food scraps.

Myth #3 - Rescue groups do not tell you about all the negatives of the dog, they just want you to take the dog without disclosing all the 'bad' along with the adoption.

This is the one that probably really bothers me the most!  We foster these animals in our homes.  If you love animals, you know how bonded you can get to an animal.  My animals become members of my family.  I would never 'push' my animals off on anyone. 

First of all, all adopters go through a very rigorous adoption process.  This is to make sure they are seriously interested in the animal.  We also want to make sure and tell the potential adopter everything we can to make sure the dog is a 'perfect fit' for their home.  It does us no good to place a dog with an adopter only to have them call us back and say the 'dog just isn't what I thought they would be'.  Now, the dog has been uprooted from his foster home, went to another home where he might have picked up bad habits or worse than that...been abused, and try to work him back into the system.

No, the best way is to make sure everyone knows exactly what temperment, physical limitations (if any), training the dog has BEFORE the adoption. We also make sure the household the dog goes into is a match for the dog.  We would not take a high energy dog and put it into a home with an elderly woman in a condo.

I fully believe these myths are circulated by people who do not fully understand the Rescue dog adoption process.  It may be kept alive by puppy mill owners who hope the majority of people will still want to buy that cute little doggie in the window at the pet store.

Being a foster, I do hear people who give me compliments for helping these animals.  I really don't understand because I don't see myself doing anything out of the ordinary. I basically am at the right time and place.  But without my adopters,  I would not be able to help as many dogs as I have in my short time as a foster mom!  I truly love and cherish my adopters as they are very unique people who really care and choose to give these dogs a second chance at life!
Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

No comments:

Post a Comment