Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Adopt or Foster a Rescue Dog in New Hampshire, Friends of Homeless Animals, INC.

I am presently a Foster Mom for Friends of Homeless Animals, INC. and live in Weare, NH.  Our primary breed is Boston Terriers but we do have quite a few breeds for adoption in all sizes!  Our motto is, Small Dogs with Big Hearts but now we also have the Big Dogs with Big Hearts too!

I've grown up with dogs as a part of life.  My aunts had a kennel when I was young and raised whippets.  They showed and trained just about every breed dog as well.  They had German Shepards, Mastiffs, Collies, etc.  Our family adopted a stray from the 'dog pound' as it was known when I was only 15mo old.  Dee Dee was a Shznauser mix breed and what a great dog she was...she treated me just like one of her puppies...

My mother told the story of me getting too close to the street and Dee Dee grabbing my diaper and pulling me back from the traffic.  Dee Dee was always there to lick my face when I was sad.  Growing up like this, it is no wonder I am a dog lover!

Our rescue group and adoptions are very strong in almost all of the NE states, except for NH.  I really do not see that many adoptions going through for my home state and don't know if it is because we are not advertised enough or people just don't know we are here...

I know when I first came to NH from FL, I had 3 dogs.  They were all over the age of 14 at the time.  Two of them have passed away due to old age.  I still have one fiesty little rat terrier named Sissy.  I really did not know there were as many foster dogs so close that needed my help.

I would really like to get the word out about Fosters needed especially in New Hampshire.  Quite a few of the people I talk to today, do not realize this rescue group is right in their neighborhood.  Another group have not adopted thinking the dogs were too far away for them. 

Both of these concerns need to be addressed...Our rescue group and many others are in your neighborhood, you just have to make that initial call.  Almost all dogs need to be transported.  We do a lot of this with volunteers, asking the potential adopters  to meet us if they can.  Dogs that come from a long distance are transported here by truck.  Believe me, where there is  will, there is a way!

If you are reading this blog and are looking for a great dog to adopt, please visit:

Friends of Homeless Animals-Rescuing Small Dogs With Big Hearts

Then take a look at some of the great looking dogs and puppies we have up for adoption on Petfinders.

We have a wide network of volunteers who foster and help transport these dogs to your location.  Please do not think a dog is too far away for you to adopt.

We are also in dire need of Foster Homes for our dogs.  With todays economy, there are more and more owner surrenders of family pets.  We are finding there just is not enough foster homes to handle the amount of dogs.  Many dogs are being put to sleep due to no place to go.  If you find it in your heart, please volunteer to foster. 

The first thing I hear is...I could never foster!  This comes up frequently.  Actually, you can.  It is very easy to give up your foster dog to a good home knowing they will be looked after and loved and you will be able to help another dog.

If you are interested in fostering but have a few questions, please email me: chloeev@msn.com
I will be glad to share my experience with you!
Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

No comments:

Post a Comment