Monday, May 17, 2010

Nikko Gets a Second Chance in the 'Nik' of Time! and What a Chance it is...

Nikko in his shelter photo


Nikko came to as an URGENT PLEA!  This dog needs foster now!  Our group, FOHA found this darling, Jack Russell terrier dog that was just a day away from being euthanized!  He was in a high kill shelter in Tennessee.  I have to say from what I've learned, the shelters are doing their best to try and help these guys in whatever way they can...  They are people just like us, and they hate to see these precious animals being put to sleep.  But until the crisis is over, they will continue to have way too many animals to save them all...

Nikko was found wandering the streets in Tennessee.  I believe Nikko may have ran away from his home.  He showed signs of abuse.  As he sat in the shelter on the cold concrete, he was shaking and terrified.  His photos showed the fear in his eyes.  He did trust people.  He had been abused by people he trusted. Now he was locked into a jail full of frightened, angry dogs who were being put to sleep daily.

When I saw the photo of Nikko, I could not help but feel the tug at my heart for this little guy.  Without a foster to step up that day..my little friend was going to be put to sleep.  Luckily for me, I had an open space for Nikko.  When Nikko came to me, he was terrified of everything.  He got off the transport and cowered. He was so hungry and thirsty as they all are due to the traveling, but he would not accept food or water for quite awhile.  I'm sure what was going through his head was, what is going to happen now?

Nikko stayed with me for about 3wks.  He learned a lot in that short amount of time.  He was not housetrained, he at first acted like he had never been in a house.  He did not know how to get in your lap.  He did not know a lot about being in a loving environment.  He mistrusted my husband and never stopped barking at him every time he came into a room.  My husband is a big guy and I believe Nikko mistook him for his abuser.  Even though my husband would feed him and bring him treats, pet him and do whatever he could to earn Nikko's trust, Nikko never trusted him.

A wonderful angel, inquired about Nikko.  She was looking for a rescue dog and wanted to fnd the one with the saddest eyes to become her new dog.  She had adopted one before from the dog shelter.  The one she adopted was the dog that cringed in the corner, not the ones that came and licked her and was friendly.

I call Nikko's adopter an angel because Nikko had so many rescue dog issues.  We were working on his problems one at a time and taking it easy to build his faith up with humans again.  I never changed the pic's on the web site to new pic's of Nikko in my home.  The pic's on the site were the ones from the shelter.  The sad eyes, the cringing dog.  I left it this way because I did not feel Nikko was ready for adoption.

When I received the inquiry on Nikko, I wanted to make sure she understood I did not think he was ready for adoption and I made sure to tell her my impressions of Nikko.  Her answer was, I have worked through issues before with my other rescue.  I do not mind working with a new dog.  I will take a dog with whatever he comes to us with...good or bad.  

Nikko met his Angel this past Saturday.  Not only did he meet her, he met her mother, her fiancee and his new grandma's cats!  We all had such a wonderful meeting, Nikko was completely at home with the family.  Even the cat hissed at him one time and that was it..no problem. 

I believe the flow of love, acceptance and caring was felt by Nikko.  He knew he was at home with a very loving and caring family.  I am so very proud to say, Nikko has found his 'furever' home and I really think he makes a beautiful picture with his new Mom, Dad to be and grandma!  Even the cats seem to accept him in..disdainfully to be sure, but accepting, nonetheless!
Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

No comments:

Post a Comment